Connect with a global community of researchers in Biomedical Sciences for free
Over the years scientists, researchers and professional members of CoBReG have volunteered to mentor our student members who want to develop successful careers in biomedical sciences. To provide access to our growing student members, we have created an online platform to enable our students to interact with mentors on a variety of topics.
What is Slack?
Slack is a free communication software for use on the web, phones, and desktop. If you are free to Slack, feel free to familiarize yourself with the system.
The Slack community is divided into channels, each with a unique topic or focus of discussion. Current topics on our Slack workspace include but are not limited to the following:
- #writing and publication
- Mentors provide help with preparing manuscripts for publication
- #academic help
- Current students get help on navigating graduate study
- Discuss issues about preparing for our annual conference
- #journal review
- Members share their research or interesting publication for discussion
- #statistical analysis
- Mentors with expertise in statistical analysis provide help with developing a sound design for your experiments
There are other channels for specific Biomedical fields as well.
What to do after Joining us on Slack
After joining us on Slack and familiarizing yourself with the available channels, feel free to interact with the community.
- Reply to people using threaded comments. When commenting or replying to anything in Slack, please always use threaded comments.
- Tweak your notification settings so you don’t miss posts that might interest you.
- Feel free to ask questions or simply share ideas or educate us
Getting more out of Slack
There are a few other things that Slack can do.
The Slackbot, which always sits at the top of your Direct Messages list. This is your own private notepad and personal bot. Anything posted to your slackbot will only be available to you. You can ask Slackbot questions about Slack, like “how do I change my profile picture” and Slackbot will provide the help you need.
Slack allows any member to Direct Message to any other member. Have questions for the admin team? Ask away! Want to collaborate on something with another member? Engage with the community!
Slack is a powerful tool for engaging our diverse community of scientists.
All members are welcome to join our Slack workspace as mentors or mentees. If you are new to Slack, simply use the link provided below to signup. You can use slack on any browser. Slack also has desktop clients for Mac, Windows, and Linux, as well as mobile apps for iOS and android to make the interaction more convenient.